Sunday, April 10, 2011

Common Gunsense Blog - I Just Had To Answer

 I have been reading Joan Peterson's blog Common Gunsense.  To say I disagree with everything that she writes would be pretty accurate, but i continue to read because i want to try to understand the view of the anti-gun advocate.  She is pretty fair about approving comments from those she disagrees with, so I had to reply to this post.  Here is the text of my reply:

Joan,

This is a tired argument: violent video games cause violent crime because they de-sensitize kids to killing.  Bunk.

It is almost as tired as your position: reducing the presence of guns in society will reduce the amount of violent crime.  Also bunk, as can be shown by the fact that there are more guns owned by more people in the U.S. than at any other time, but the violent crime rate has been falling steadily for years.

More guns DO NOT CAUSE MORE CRIME!

Oh, well.  I know I will never convince you with a logical argument, because you approach the issue from an emotional viewpoint: you simply hate guns, and you want to eliminate them from society.

That, ultimately, is your common sense gun law, in my opinion.  You will never succeed.

Sometimes I wonder why I continue  reading her blog when so much of it irritates me how someone can be so wrong headed about the issue, but I think it is best to always oppose that with which you disagree lest those views appear more true than they are by lack of challenge.


UPDATE: 4/11/2011
Joan Peterson still has not approved by comment.  I am wondering if i have been banned.

2 comments:

Robin said...

She hasn't posted my comment either. I responded that it was not a gun that killed her sister. Her brother in law killed her sister with a gun.

The problem is that if she doesn't blame the gun she has to blame her brother in law and if she does that then she has to accept than neither she nor the rest of her family recognized his problems and did anything about them.

Left Coast Conservative said...

Robin,

I had exactly the same thought. Of course we don't know the details of the marriage, but it is possible, like so many other women, Mrs. Peterson's sister felt trapped and powerless in the relationship, and thus unable to leave her husband.

Truly a tragedy, and I can well understand Mrs Peterson's feelings. That does not mean I will give her a pass on her proposed policies.