Friday, January 22, 2010

Anti-Gun Article on Feministing

I learned about this condescending article on Feministing from Learn About Guns. Granted that this is a really old article, I thought I would reply in the hopes that my contribution might help. Here is my reply, as posted on that site:

Samhita,

Perhaps you should read this article. Go ahead, I'll wait...

So, what do you think now about a woman defending herself in suburbia? My point, and Dr. Hupps as well, is that violence can find you whether you are prepared for it or not. While you don't actually advocate that guns should be banned, your condescending tone to those who choose to arm themselves is revolting. Other people who replied to this article have noted the condescension as well. hippychik7:
It is true that maybe I am not in great danger of violence at any one time, but if a woman can be trusted to determine and CHOOSE to have an abortion, then I think she should be able to choose when to carry a gun.

Absolutely! To us gun owners, and advocates of armed self-defense, it is all about responsibility. Taking responsibility to protect ourselves, and taking responsibility to not harm others while we carry guns. Charlton Heston, past president of the NRA, that group you despise so much, said this well:
... There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys. ...

1 comment:

Dreaming West said...

Well said! It has never made sense to me that so many feminists want to take the basic human right of self-defense away from women. Guns are the great equalizer, and no martial arts training can match the stopping power of hot lead.

I'm not a cowgirl. I'm not tough. I'm not emotionally disturbed. I just refuse to submit to violence. I believe my life is worth more than my potential rapist's. I believe I have the right to defend myself and my family from violence.

Those who have never fired a gun tend to squeal the loudest about firearms, finding them icky and scary and oh-so-redneck. An hour or two on the range with a competent instructor might do wonders for their self-confidence and opinions about guns. The trick is getting them to open their minds and give it a try.

And even if they decide to remain disarmed and powerless after learning about firearms and firing them in a safe environment, at least their opinions will be a little more credible and a little less based on hysteria and fear-mongering.